Although the award scheme has received a lot of criticism from a section of the stakeholders, it continues to reign as the only music festival that awards players in the Ghanaian music industry.
This year’s MTN Ghana Music Awards Festival, scheduled for April 4 at the Conference Centre in Accra, is dawning and a number of activities have been lined up for the celebrations which will be climaxed with a musical concert at the Independence Square.
On April 1, the organizers of the awards will hold an MTN GMA dialogue at the Alisa Hotel. It is expected that the dialogue will address some pertinent issues bedeviling the Ghanaian music industry with the hope of finding amicable solutions that will foster growth.
The forum is expected to attract key stakeholders in the industry including Television and Radio Station owners, the musicians themselves and a section of the media.
The countdown series has begun airing on GTV every Wednesday at 5:30PM with a repeat broadcast on Fridays at 12:30PM. All the issues concerning the scheme will be discussed on this programme to ensure that people’s minds are laid to rest on the processes leading to the awards.
Meanwhile, the public categories that have been published include Most Popular Song of the Year, Artiste of the Year, Discovery of the Year, Hiplife/Hiphop Artiste of the Year, Gospel Artiste of the Year, Gospel Song of the Year and Hiphop Song of the Year.
The rest are Hiplife Song of the Year, Afro Pop Song of the Year, Reggae Song of the Year, Contemporary Highlife Song of the Year, Contemporary Highlife Artiste of the Year and Best Collaboration of the Year.
The general public makes 30 percent of the decision of who wins what in the MTN GMA. The remaining 70 percent is decided by the Planning Committee which has 35 percent while the Selection Committee made up of industry professionals makes 35 percent of the decision of who wins what on April 4, 2009.
To ensure that their favourite artistes take home the awards they have been nominated for, the public is encouraged to text their vote to MTN short code 1758 and follow the instructions. The highest texter stands the chance of winning a return trip to an exotic destination in Africa courtesy of RVI.
|< Prev||Next >|